MODERN FOREIGN LANGUAGE
Bewdley Primary School MFL - Statement of Intent
The core language taught at Bewdley Primary School is French with some Spanish being taught in Year 6 in preparation for high school. Our planning is based on the coverage set out by the MFL leader which covers all the components of the Programme of Study and ensures that there are no gaps or over teaching of certain areas. It is the intention that all children in KS2 will access first quality teaching of French in order to adequately prepare them for KS3.
Our aims in teaching a modern foreign language
- To develop an interest in learning other languages.
- To introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating.
- To encourage children’s confidence and creative skills.
- To stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language.
- To encourage children to be aware that language has a structure and that the structure differs from one language to another.
- To help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries.
- To develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- To lay the foundations for future language learning.
The progression of skills and knowledge in Modern Foreign Language is attached below.